lundi 29 novembre 2010

Loudun



I decided to end my quest through France in a very small charming town called Loudun. I left Poitiers in the afternoon and started off on route D347. Loudun is about 54.2 km away from Poitiers, taking this route. It took me about 57 minutes to get to my destination. The population of this town is about 7,707. It's a town of charming old streets, old buildings, and beautiful views. 


Le Ricordeau 
As soon as I got into town I decided to first check into my hotel. I checked into the Le Ricordeau hotel located at 6 Place Boeuffeterie. The property was absolutely gorgeous! I decided to just let this day be a relaxing one for me. I hung around the garden and reflected on my journey as well as went swimming in the pool. The nice thing about going to this little town, is it doesn't attract many tourists so I have the ability to relax and enjoy the town without the busy hustle and bustle. Later that night, I ate at Le Ricordeau, my hotel. It is rated one of the best restaurants in Loudun. They have excellent food and it's presentation was beautiful.
Le Ricordeau
The next day, I was all ready for some exploring. Loudun has quite a few castles, so I decided to go check some out. I first went to La Bonnetiere Castle. Afterwards, I visited Coussay Castle. It's a beautiful Renaissance castle and has a nearby recreational park. I decided to visit one last castle for the day. So last stop was the Ternay Castle. This castle dates back to the 11th, 15th, and 17th centuries. This was probably my favorite castle to visit. Here, I did wine and cheese tasting, it was fabulous!
La Bonnetiere Castle
Coussay Castle
Ternay Castle
The very next day I went to the Saint - Hilaire Church. It's a very interesting 12th century church. The walls are decorated with painted murals. Loudun has quite a few museums in their town. I first visited the Acadian Museum. This museum follows Loudunais families who came in the 17th century to start a farming colony in "New France." Lastly, I visited the Romanesque Art Centre. This place has amazing carvings from the 12th century originating from the town of Loudun. This place shows how Loudun's architecture was influenced by the Romanesque Style.
Saint - Hilaire Church
Acadian Museum
Romanesque Art Centre
The very next day I visited the Loudun Aquarium. I never imagined there would be one in such a small town. Here, you can see many fresh-water exotic fish from Asia, Africa, America, and Oceania. They also have an outside pool where you can see the breeding tanks and the nursery tanks.


Loudun Aquarium
Following the museum, I did a nice afternoon hike in the Forest of Scévolles. This forest was named after a 16th century French poet,  Scévole de Sainte Marthe. It was such a pretty hike. I got to see a beautiful lake as well as some wildlife. 


Forest of Scévolles
I never imagined there would be so much to do and see in such a small town. This was definitely a great idea to come and visit Loudun, learn its interesting history, and see it's beautiful buildings and surroundings!



Resources: 
http://www.planetware.com/france/loudun-f-pc-lou.htm 
http://jcraymond.free.fr/Histoire/Lieux/L/Loudun/Tour/Tour.php
http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotos-g616117-d1884491-Le_Ricordeau-Loudun_Poitou_Charentes.html
http://en.tourisme-vienne.com/chateau/chaussee-la/131/la-bonnetiere-castle-chaussee-la

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Membres